Friday, July 10, 2009

All things paper...

Okay, maybe not all things. But some of the small stuff, to start off.

VistaPrint has a bunch of things for free in the month of July. All you have to pay is Shipping (just make sure to uncheck any little boxes at the end when you are going through those surveys, or you will end up getting billed monthly!). So I figured, with 100 postcards for free, and 250 business cards for free, why not take advantage of it? They also have magnets, 25 for free, and I may take up on that as well. I have been known to create different accounts... ;)

For favors, Brian and I originally decided to do a donation. I know, I will probably get flamed for it- The Knot girls (not my DE ones, but everyone else it seems) are against donations as a "favor" for some reason. They feel that it is not a favor to donate to a charity of your choice- either give them a gift, or give them nothing. Well, I don't feel that way. And from the beginning, Brian and I had chosen a charity that not only means alot, but is also in memoriam of loved ones.

Both of our grandfathers served in World War II- my grandpa in the Navy Seabees, and Brian's in the Army. Brian never knew his grandfather, as he died before Brian was born. I was extremely lucky and blessed to have my grandpa in my life until I was 22 years old. While Grandpa wouldn't talk much about the war and serving, I know that he was very proud of the fact that he served our country, and even more so of the fact that he played trumpet in the Navy Band! I remember him telling me when I was young that he wanted either a live bugler to play TAPS at his funeral, or he wanted nothing- a CD recording would not suffice.

When he passed in February 2008, he did indeed go without a bugler to play TAPS at his funeral. After talking with Brian and his dad, Mark, I found out that Brian's grandfather did not have TAPS played at his funeral, either. While having dinner with Brian's family one day, the topic of a certain organization came up, and an idea began to blossom in my mind.

Bugles Across America is a wonderful organization that, purely through volunteers and donations, provides a live bugler to play TAPS at any veteran's funeral. Their website states:

Bugles Across America, NFP was founded in 2000 by Tom Day, when Congress passed legislation stating Veterans had a right to at least 2 uniformed military people to fold the flag and play taps on a CD player. Bugles Across America was begun to take this a step further, and in recognition of the service these Veterans provided their country, we felt that every Veteran deserved a live rendition of taps played by a live Bugler. To this end, we are actively seeking volunteers to provide this valuable service to Veterans and their families.

Bugles Across America now has over 5000 bugler volunteers located in all 50 states and growing number overseas. Since the Department of Veterans Affairs is expecting more than 1/2 million veterans to pass every year for the next 7 years, Bugles Across America is ALWAYS recruiting new volunteers.

Bugler Volunteers can be male or female. They can play a traditional bugle with no valves, or they can perform the ceremony on a Trumpet, Cornet, Flugelhorn, or a 1, 2 or 3 valved bugle. The bugler can be of any age as long as they can play the 24 notes of Taps with an ease and style that will do honor to both the Veterans, their families, and the burial detail performing the service.

I found out about this wonderful organization because Mark, a trumpet and bugle player, volunteers for the organization. Brian and I had agreed that we wanted to do a donation, but we wanted it to be a meaningful organization, one that would touch a part of our lives. When I approached Brian about donating to Bugles Across America, in memory of our grandfathers, he thought it was a wonderful idea that would honor our grandpas, our veterans, and provide a lasting tribute to those who have served our country.

Now, we are also doing a candy buffet, but that is a totally different story, and a product of my parents. It was added on after the decision to donate was made. But we still wanted a way to convey to our family and friends about the donation. I came up with the idea to write down why, not just that we are donating, but the story behind it as well. In addition, as a token for our loved ones to remember our donation, I found American Flag lapel pins online, at Oriental Trading, for 20 cents each (including shipping). The plan originally was to do a scroll of paper, tie it with ribbon in our wedding colors, and pin the flag to the ribbon. But now that VistaPrint is offering the postcards for free, I am thinking that is a better idea- the cost of shipping will be far less than the cost of materials for the previous idea.

Also, with the 250 business cards that are offered for free, we can get our "photosharing cards". For those who don't know, this is a currently popular idea where a card is left at each guests' seat. On the card is a saying such as "Did you take pictures? Share them with us!". Following that sentiment are instructions on how to upload guests' wedding photos to an online sharing site, such as Snapfish or Shutterfly, to a specific account (usually the username and password for the account are on the cards, and it's usually a specially created account for the wedding). This is a great way for the bride and groom to get a glance at the whirlwind day before the professional photographs come back. I was not originally planning on doing these, but now that I can get them for free, and hopefully tack them onto the postcard shipping, it will be worth it, so why not?

Finally, with my mom's and sister's and Brian's account, I will also get postcards for our Save The Dates. We are not sending out many, just to our guests who are waaaay out of town (like all of Brian's family, in Ohio and Michigan and Colorado and Arizona and well, you get the picture). I was originally planning on making the few we needed by hand, but with the free offers of postcards and magnets, I figure, why do the work when they will do a professional job, for free??

I swear, any way that I can save money, you better believe I will do it (except illegal things, duh!)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment