Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hi. Do you remember me? I'm Brittany, the bride?

Yes, I know. It's been a while. Please don't get on my back about it just yet; I promise, cross my heart, I will tell you why.

First off, what do you think of these?
I love them. Love them, love them, love them. They are the color of my train/the color of the girls dresses. They are comfortable. They are nifty, something not expected- from me, of all people. They aren't heels, something I can't wear. They aren't $80 for unflattering, uncomfy flats that I will wear only once. And, best of all, they are sparkly.

My mom thinks I am nuts for wanting to wear something like this. Maybe I am. But when you can't wear heels, and dressy flats put you in pain, why would I want to wear something not like these? Brian loves them, as does half my facebook- in fact, there wasn't a bad comment on the picture at all. Brian even offered to buy them for me! Plus, with these, hopefully I won't need as much help on my wedding, in terms of using my cane/wheelchair/someone's arm.

But wait, Brittany. I thought you told us that you would have your surgery, lose the weight, and walk down the aisle pain free and aide free to the man of your dreams?

Yeah, that was the case. Or so I thought. They denied my surgery.

Shock. Pain. Hysteria. Tears. Yelling and Screaming. More tears. Grief. All of these emotions have been felt over the past 2 weeks, when I found out that I was denied. This was supposed to be a foolproof case, no sweat. Well, apparently, the board that reviewed my case (supposedly an independent board- ha. ha. ha.) doesn't read their facts- or their own reports, for that matter. They think I need to try many different drugs, PT, a longer opiate regime...ALL of which are listed at the beginning of the report as tried! We honestly don't know what to make of the report, either, since they don't really say if I should retry, or if I have to try and then can get the surgery. We think it's the latter, which means all we should be able to do is make a list of dates with the item tried, and show the courts.

Seems easy, huh? Yeah, well, as easy as that sounds, Delaware courts do not seem to favor worker's comp cases, and especially those that deal with RSD. Plus, with the courts systems being so overloaded, this could take 8 months to a year. Which means that I won't have the surgery by my wedding. And yes, it is as heartbreaking a blow to me as you can ever imagine.

Brian has been wonderful- he said he proposed to me as a larger size, he loves me as a larger size, and if it means he marries me as a larger size, then he totally okay with that. It helps somewhat to ease the insecurity I feel about myself, but not totally. Overall, I think Brian is the one person I ache and hurt for the most. He takes care of me. Mentally, phsyically, emotionally, spiritually, financially- in every way you can imagine, he cares for me. And while I know he loves me and would do anything for me, it still is very taxing on a 23 year old. Brian never thought that the woman of his dreams would be an invalid- hell, I never thought I would be sick when I got married. So to watch him care for me in every sense of the word, and then to get news for this, makes me ache for him more than it does for me.

I love Brian, and I am trying to stay strong and rely on my faith during this difficult time. The doctor upped my meds again, did another injection (which calmed down the flare up I was having), and we just keep trucking. It's not easy, don't get me wrong- this is one of those times in life that no one thinks they will ever have to go through. Sometimes it feels like my faith is on sinking sand instead of rock, but when that happens, I pray for the perserverence that I know only Christ can give me. He, after all, loved me before I was knit together in my mother's womb, and will never leave me, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment