Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How about that wedding?

Figured since it's a wedding/relationship blog, maaaaybe I should say something about weddings. Just maybe.

I have said before that if someone asked me what my theme is, I would reply with "Our theme is us. Everything that plays a part in our wedding day- and in our life together- is important to either one or both of us."

Brian and I are doing the candy buffet as a favor. When we decided to do it, it was with the understanding that we would try to make it fun, and do it cheap. Not meaning to offend anyone who is doing color coordination, but it's my personal opinion that people are not looking at what color M&M's or Skittles or whatever is going into their mouths. They just care that it's yummy! We made the decision that color coordination is not for us, since doing it that way often costs quite a bit more money than doing regular candy. Not only that, but if we color coordinated everything, 1) it would look quite boring, in my opinion, and 2) we wouldn't be able to have a lot of Brian and I's favorite candies! Since the theme is "US", what fun would it be if we can't have Sour Patch Kids because they don't "match"? We have been making a list, with help from family and friends, of what candies we want at the wedding. We would ideally like to do a large buffet, with many styles and choices. If we want to do it that way, saving money on the cost of the candy itself is huge. So, for that purchase, we will be heading to places like Costco and BJ's (both wholesale clubs). A 3 lb. bag of regular M&M's or Skittles sells for about $7. To put that in perspective, for the same price, I can get just Blue M&M's, in a 7 oz bag! 5 lbs of the Color Only selection is $50. Skittles? You can't purchase individual colors, as far as I know- which means that we wouldn't be able to have them in our Blue, White, and Silver wedding (and seeing as how Skittles are my mom's absolute favorite candy, well, we kinda need to have them!).

We also are trying to obtain the containers the cheapest way possible as well. I didn't really want to go down the typical road, using only apothecary and candy jars. I really wanted an eclectic look, with different types of cuts and shapes, holding all sorts of different candy! My older sister, Kelly, who is also my Matron of Honor, is awesome when it comes to this. She has scoured consignment shops and Good Will, looking for vases and bowls and anything glass that we could use to hold candy. She has found some pretty awesome containers that way! We have also been to Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Ross, looking for cool vases that are inexpensive. Finally, I have also done the Trash to Treasure board on the Knot, and have purchased vases another bride used for her candy buffet in her wedding. Because quite a few brides want to get rid of the extras from their wedding (often, it's overtaking their dining room table or spare bedroom, and they want their space back!), other brides-to-be can often find good deals on items that they are looking for- items they will only use once, and hopefully pass onto other brides who can use them. I managed to get 10 containers for $30. In all, I believe we have around 25 glass items; large, small, low, high, all sorts. It is going to look soooo awesome when it finally comes time to set it all up!

In addition to the glassware and all that we have collected, I have also been gathering little odds and ends, here and there. From the same bride who sold me the glassware, I also purchased the photo cardbox (it 4 8x10's in a square box shape, and our guests can put their cards for us into the middle part) and 20 metal small easels, which we will probably use for either the menus and/or the table numbers. My mom's dining room is starting to look a little crowded.

I also found my wedding day jewelry! While down in NOLA, they had a store set up, and a jewelry section in the store. The lady selling jewelry works for a non-profit missionary group that sends missionaries to Mexico. They also build schools and educate girls, young women, and single mothers. Well, they had some GORGEOUS stuff. I had been looking online, but hadn't been able to find anything that really struck my fancy. While browsing through the jewelry there, I saw this breathtaking cross- turns out, it was made by one of the people they help in Mexico, and one of a kind. Only problem was, it was on a strand of pink freshwater pearls, which would not go with my dress at all. When I mentioned how much I liked it but that it wouldn't match, she said she had her supplies with her, and could make it however I wanted! She redid the necklace with white freshwater pearls, white Swavorski crystals, and blue Swavorski Crystals. She also made earrings to match :) The set is perfect; it's what I was looking for, gorgeous yet simple, not overpowering. And for the same price as I was looking online, I was able to help out a non-profit organization, which made me feel good about my purchase!

I contacted and am currently going through DJ material. I can tell you, I do NOT recommend D&J DJ service. I called them to inquire about their services, and was so uncomfortable and put off on the phone, I refuse to book them, even though they came recommended from several friends who had seen them in action. The entire conversation was about how they were the best, and how I should cut my expenses elsewhere to afford them, and how if I book someone else don't come crying to them about how bad it was because he tried to warn me that they were the best and the only ones that matter, and how my hall is horrible and the equipment is sub par and you can't trust the sound system there...It was horrible, and honestly the most uncomfortable convo I have had with a potential vendor yet. They were way out of my price range, and when I finally could get a word in edgewise, I promptly told them that we were on a budget for a reason, and we were just glad that Brian had a job, since I can't work because of medical conditions, and we had budgeted what we could afford. When I mentioned the economy and me having medical conditions that prevent me from working, he got really quiet for a minute and didn't know what to say- but only for a minute. Then it was back to that they were the best and that I had to find the money by cutting it from other vendors or services. I got off the phone as soon as I could, and promptly crossed them off the list. If you are the type to go with the first vendor you talk to because they pressure you, go for it. Otherwise, steer clear of D&J. I am looking now into Schaffer Sound and Tom Barrett DJ- if you have comments about either, let me know!

That's about it for the wedding updates (at least, I think so). More fun and adventurous posts coming later!

No comments:

Post a Comment